BREATHING AND COLD EXPOSURE
This blog post was inspired by the works of Wim Hof and his method of breathing & mindset to withstand extreme cold. He is nicknamed the “Ice man” and is dedicated in the research and science behind meditation and gradual exposure to cold temperatures. These practices improve neuro-cognitive functions by stimulating the Autonomic nervous system (ANS), stimulates the immune system, and metabolic pathways.
I want to dedicate this article to my good friend Jared Tavasolian. He is passionate about health & fitness and is currently a Wim Hof method instructor. For the past 16 years, Jared has been a health advocate motivated in helping individuals reach their health goals through movement, meditation, and a powerful mindset by integrating mind, body, and soul.
This article is meant to be simple and educate you about the effects of breathing and cold exposure. Many individuals practice the art of yoga and concentrate on their breathing practices but here is a little science behind the art of mindfulness and breathing. Most people hate being cold but short term cold exposure has many beneficial effects which are listed below.
Stimulates the Autonomic nervous system – ANS – parasympathetic system (the rest and digest nervous system)
- Improves Vagal Tone – the vagus nerve supplies to gut, kidneys, stomach, liver, heart, and blood vessels.
- Thus improving cardiovascular disease, GI dysfunction, improves lung function, and improves blood vessel integrity.
- Stimulates hypothalamus – secreting natural cortisol that decreases inflammatory pathways
- Stimulates adrenal glands– secreting natural adrenaline that decreases pain pathways
- Deep breathing causes super-saturation of oxygen within the lungs to provide:
- Optimal cognitive function
- Increase energy production (like IV vitamin therapy)
- Increase metabolic rate – (weight loss)
- Provides detoxification
- Improves mitochondrial function
- Decreases pain (like prolotherapy or PRP regenerative injections)
- Improves blood circulation
Gradual Exposure to Cold (Ice Bath)
Stimulates the human brain (ANS – parasympathetic)
- Stimulates the hypothalamus to heat up the body naturally (increase metabolic rate)
- Secrete endorphins (increase mood and focus)
- Stimulates the production of natural cortisol (more energy and concentration)
- Decreases inflammatory pathways (cytokines)
- Decreases pain pathways (like prolotherapy or PRP regenerative injections)
- Decreases pain perception pathways
- Stimulates adrenaline hormones to improve cellular function
- Improves hormonal regulation
- Improves oxygen utilization
Stimulates the immune system
- Decreases overall inflammation
- Improves immune system to fight off infections
- Improves detoxification
- Decreases the risk of cancer and chronic diseases
Combination of deep breathing and cold ice baths improves brain function – which in turn diminishes pain and decreases inflammation in the body.
LIVV Natural Health believes in the healing art of nature. Promoting natural medicine into peoples lives while staying up to date with the modern medicine of today. Some of these modalities include prolotherapy, PRP regenerative injections, IV Vitamin Therapy, IV nutrient therapy, IV infusion therapy, hormone replacement therapy, pain management, and naturopathic medicine. Passionate about optimal health in our modern day society, providing as much information and knowledge about the different beneficial options our world has to offer.